Ludlow Palmers
helping to conserve the fabric and treasures of St Laurence's
Edward and Martha Waties

The wall monument to the Waties is on the north side of the chancel. This type of memorial became popular from the later 16th century among professional people as it was less expensive or space consuming than the grand tomb chest

Edward Waties came from a local family based at Burway. He was a member of the Council of the Marches and had a minor legal role as a steward. His arms were among those displayed at Ludlow castle.

His wife Martha was the daughter of Sir Henry Sidney's secretary Sir Charles Foxe, owner of the priory of Bromfield, close to Ludlow. Martha died in 1629, and the inscription records that Waties ‘erected the monument when aged seventy as a memorial of himself and of Martha his late wife deceased’. He died in 1635.

The Waties memorial adopts the common composition of two painted figures kneeling before a prayer desk, set in a frame, like a stage set.

The curiously large head corbel in the centre may be a cherub representing divine omnipresence. Cherubs and angels became popular at a time when images of God were regarded as idolatrous.

« back to chancel « back to monuments « back to tour