Few alterations to St Laurence's were made in the C13. One was the first two bays of the Chancel and the other was the South Porch and the South Door which predates it.
The Porch is of an unusual hexagonal form. There are just two other examples in England of which only that at St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol is of comparable date. From the stonework detail an early C14 or late C13 date is suggested. The window tracery is ‘geometric’ and the ribs of the vaulted roof flow elegantly upwards from the floor.
The South Door is of a refined Early English design of about 1275 and thus dates from a few years before the porch.
The restoration of the South Porch in 1860 was paid for by the 7th Viscount Boyne of Burwarton in memory of his parents who had been prominent Ludlow fgures in the early years of the century.