Most of the features of St John's Chapel represent the finest example of their type at St Laurence's and the screen is no exception. It dates from the second half of the C15; the use of quatrefoils in the middle rail and cresting rather than Tudor roses suggests perhaps it is pre-1485.
The screen is in 8 paired bays the middle two of which form the door. The wainscot has blind tracery. Above the double dado rail with its pierced quatrefoils, the main lights have delicate cusped ogee tracery. Above the fine lierne vaulting is a frieze of two vine trails and a crest of quatrefoils in squares.
Like other screen in the Church, the St John's Chapel screen has design similarities with those in other Marches churches, so it is evident that there was a local workshop cof considerable skill operating at this period.« back to St John's Chapel « back to Tour of St Laurence's