Ludlow Palmers
helping to conserve the fabric and treasures of St Laurence's
Tower Crossing

The sheer scale of the tower arches and the way the tower lantern floods the Church with light are a spectacular concept. Although much greater in scale the tower arches follow the moulding pattern of the nave and, while the tower was the last of the C15 remodelling to be completed, it appears to be part of a unified design for the Church as a whole.

The tower is braced on an east-west axis by the nave arcade and the walls of the chancel. On the north-south axis there are four graceful half arches that span the aisles to give similar bracing from the walls of the transepts. The arches have sunk chamfering typical of the Decorated period of about 1350 so were built at the time of the transepts and not that of the tower. This would tend to indicate that a tower either existed or was planned at that time.

Above the main arches is a cornice and the identical four tower windows, expressed emphatically internally as pairs of two light windows. Only the eastern of these contains stained glass. It is by Edmonson and Son of Manchester and represents the four evangelists, Matthew, and angel; St Mark, a lion; St Luke, an ox; and St John an eagle.

The tower vault is of timber rising from stone corner shafts. It has sixteen cusped panels between tiercerons and, according to documentary evidence, dates from about 1500. The 'eye' of the vault can be removed to allow bells to be hoisted through.

« back to Nave « back to Tour