The monument to Mary Eure née Dawnay, 1557-1612, was erected by her husband, Ralph Eure, 3rd Baron Eure, Lord President of the Marches from 1607 until his death in 1617, when he was buried next to his wife.
The monument is now in the south transept but was originally in a more prestigious position at the east end of the chancel, on the south side, opposite the Townshend tomb. It was moved when the chancel was restored by Scott in 1859-60.
Both the Eures and the Dawnays came from West Yorkshire. Before his appointment at Ludlow, Lord Eure (born 1558) was a Yorkshire MP, and was employed as a diplomat and an administrator in the northern Marches.
The restrained classical arch framing the inscription behind the figure, and supporting a display of heraldry above, is a device made popular by Netherlandish tombmakers.
The reclining pose of Lady Eure, holding a prayer book, also reflects contemporary fashion, showing the deceased as a living, meditating figure.
The monument is constructed of alabaster brought from the Midlands, the streaky, marble-like character of the stone is characteristic of quarries where the better stone had been worked out.
In contrast, the figure of Lady Eure was originally painted: traces of black paint can still be seen in the folds of her elaborate dress.