Ludlow Palmers
helping to conserve the fabric and treasures of St Laurence's
The windows of St Laurence's

West Window

The stone tracery of this window dates from the remodelling of the church in the second quarter of the 15th century; but the glass is all 19th Century. The artist was Thomas Willement, the 'Father of Vicorian Stained Glass'. ...read more...

Ladies' window

The west window of the north aisle is known as the ‘Ladies window’ because it was funded by the ‘Ladies Committee’ during the 1859-60 restoration. The window's tracery was recarved at this time but to its original form and with all its ballflower decoration. ...read more...

Western north aisle window

The glass for this window was originally made by Hardman in 1860 for the chapel of St Leonard in Corve Street. It was installed here in 1991 as the gift of Doreen and Howard Watkins. ...read more...

Salwey window 1

Immediately to the west of the north door, this window was installed 1928 by Louis Davis who was one of the foremost glass painters of his time. Given by Mrs Gratton in memory of Theophilus Salwey, and his sisters Agnes, Mary and Katherine. ...read more...

Wellings window

This window is over north door and is by Hardman and Co. 1860. It shows the appearance of the risen Christ to Mary Magdalene; Jacob blessing Joseph's sons; and Christ blessing little children. The window was given by Captain Wellings and J. Penwaine.

Salwey window 2

To the east of the north door the window is by Louis Davis, 1912, after Christopher Whall and commemorating Humphrey, eldest son of Theophilus Salwey (Salwey window 1), at the cost of Mrs J.D. White. Its panels are the Virgin Mary with the Infant Christ; Jacob's dream; an angel with St John the Evangelist (in red cloak) on Patmos. Arms of Salwey and others.

Nightingale window

The second window from the east in the north aisle was given by Mrs A.M. White in 1888 in memory of her godmother, Miss M.A.J. Nightingale. The window was made by Hardman and Co. It shows the Entombment and the Resurrection, with Roman soldiers (not Jewish guards) as custodians of the tomb.

Openshaw window

The easternmost window in the north aisel was given by Mrs Oppenshaw in 1887 and made by Hardman; the three Marys in the garden, and the appearance of the risen Lord to Mary Magdalene.

Roundel windows

Roundel windows

The glass in the cinqefoils of the three easternmost windows of the north aisle are the only surviving original glass in the north aisle and the oldest glass in the church. ...read more...

The Golden Window

Golden Window

The ‘golden window’ otherwise known and the Paternoster, Salutation or Annunciation Window, is one of St Laurence' ‘Catechism Windows’ and is considered to be the finest in the Church. ...read more...

The Golden Window

Creed window 1

This window must be read as a pair with the one to its right despite the masonry in between. They are called the 'Creed windows' because they depict the 12 Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem in AD50 receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost above through rays of light. ...read more...

The Golden Window

Creed window 2

This window must be read as a pair with the one to its left despite the masonry in between. They are called the 'Creed windows' because they depict the 12 Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem in AD50 receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost above through rays of light. ...read more...

The Palmers window

The Palmers' Window

The Palmers' window dates from the period of the C15 rebuilding of the Church. It shows us a religious guild taking liberties with history to exploit a legend.

Here is the legend: King Edward the Confessor was a weak king, but a saintly man ...read more...

Chancel north-west window

Chancel north-west window

The window dates from the 1440s and was restored in 1859 at the cost of Edward Herbert, 3rd Earl of Powis. Like 4 of the other Chancel windows, only 9 of the 15 main panels contain pictorial images. Much of the glass dates from this restoration but there is some fine original glass in the two upper right-hand panels and the lower left one. ...read more...

Chancel north-middle window

Chancel north middle window

The middle window on the north side of the Chancel is known as the Shearmen's window, because it was commissioned by the Shearmen's Guild of Ludlow (Shearmen were clothiers). It is recorded as having been made in 1425 which means that it was adapted for its present site when the Chancel was rebuilt in the 1440s. ...read more...

Chancel north-east window

Chancel north-east window

The window was restored in 1854 by David Evans at the cost of Robert Clive and Baroness Windsor. Like 4 of the other Chancel windows, only 9 of the 15 main panels still contain pictorial images. The glass is a mixture of ancient and restoration.

The tracery at the top depicts ...read more...

Great east window

Great east window

The Window was mostly remade in 1832 by David Evans of Evans and Betts of Shrewsbury. The restoration was regarded as a very accurate copy of the original and was necessitated by decades of neglect complicated by a poor restoration in 1720. The drawings for the restoration have survived but no record was kept of which of the glass is original.

Nevertheless the design of the window is a masterpiece of mediaeval art. ...read more...

Chancel north-east window

Decalogue window

This window depicts six of the ten commandments by showing sinners being caught in the act. Clearly it is impossible to depict somebody not committing something. The window was restored in 1854 by David Evans at which time the C15 glass as we see it was in place. But it is not thought this is its original location as in 1684 ...read more...

Chancel south middle window

Chancel south middle window

The window was restored in 1859 by Clayton and Bell for Sir Charles Rouse Boughton and his brother in memory of their parents. Before restoration the window had six plain panels like the others in the choir. Some of the old glass came from elsewhere in the church. About half the glass is old. ...read more...

Chancel south-west window

Chancel south-west window

The window was restored in 1860 for the Churchwardens. The window contains mostly old glass but some of the figures have been patched together from other windows confusing the iconography and making identification sometimes difficult. ...read more...

Jesse tree window

Ludlow's Tree of Jesse, which fills the East window of the Lady Chapel, dates from about 1330. The restoration by Hardman of 1890 preserved as much as possible of the original glass, but was a significant challenge even to a clever and painstaking craftsman. We cannot be sure what any of the twenty or so surviving C14 Jesse windows originally looked like, but at least this one is still in the window for which it was originally designed. ...read more...

St Catherine's Chapel east window

This window is made up of fragments of mediaeval glass recovered from different parts of the Church over the period to 1904 when it was installed. Some of the glass is earlier than the 15th century glass of the chancel and St John's Chapel. The virgin receiving the crown of fleur-de-lys at the top dates from the mid fourteenth century.

Vaughan window

This window is the central one of the three in the south aisle. It was given by Brettel Vaughan and installed in 1884 by Clayton and Bell. The figures are the three Marys: Mary Magdalene, the Virgin Mary and Mary Cleophas, the mother of St James the Less.

Weyman window

This window of 1902 is an Epiphany scene in the south aisle immediately to the left of the south door. It commemorates Thomas Weyman of Broad Street and his wife Mary. It was given by his children including Stanley Weyman, the very popular historical novelist of his day, and Henry Weyman the local historian. The glass is by Powell and Son.

Herbert window

This window is at the west end of the south aisle. The glass is by Hughes of London and it was installed in 1859-60 by Colonel Sir Percy Herbert, the MP for Ludlow. The arms displayed are the Province Canterbury, Shrewsbury Borough, Herbert, Ludlow Borough and Diocese of Hereford.

« back to tour